Hi, I’m Angela Mardock, IFS Junior Ambassador to the World.
I know claiming to be #1 sounds presumptuous, and Junior Ambassador to the world? Really? But the fact is I am the first kid ever to be adopted by a U.S. family through the organization that became known as International Family Services and I love talking about being adopted.
My adoption took place back in 1991 in Romania when I was a baby. I’m now 23 years old, a college graduate, and recently returned from Europe spending a semester of my senior year in Spain studying Spanish and enjoying another international and cultural experience.
Being raise a Mardock (yes, my parents are Bob and Carol Mardock, founders of IFS) I have grown to appreciate cultures and international experiences. It seems to be a theme in my family. My life started in Romania but I’m an all American girl. Along the way I have spent time in Mexico, Argentina, England, Australia and now Spain. Mom and Dad have raised me to be a world changer and that has certainly become one of my primary goals in life.
I have accepted Mom and Dad’s challenge to take on a special role with IFS. My parents actually came up with the idea “Junior Ambassador” for IFS. I like to think of this role as simply being a big adoption story-teller. Like many others today, I am into social media with my handy iPhone and laptop to aid me. As part of the Facebook generation I simply want to help continue to develop networks and relationships where I can tell the adoption story, but from an adopted kid’s perspective.
I know a little about what my life could have been had I not been adopted and I want to make a difference in the lives of other kids like me. I know I’m not the only world changer out there who needs to be adopted.
My dad wrote the story about my adoption that also tells how International Family Services got started. Here is a link to download the mini-book. I’m a little humbled to think it all started with me, but at the same time I’m proud to be #1. I hope you will read dad’s story and pass it on. And I hope you will follow me this year as I view my world through adopted eyes.
Interesting Angela Info:
- Child Gymnast. (Hey, I’m from Romania! I used to be able to do 13 back-flips in a row. I quit when I had progressed to the level where the coaches wanted me to sell my life to being a “contender.”)
- Junior High Cheer Leader. (Can you say DRAMA?)
- HS Choir. (I was in the top vocal group.)
- HS Yearbook Editor. (Our book was recognized as one of the best in the country.)
- Staff at a Christian Camp. (I cleaned toilets, I was the laundry girl, and assisted in the kitchen. I washed my hands first.)
- HS senior Prom Queen. (That one was a surprise!)
- University student government. (I was events/social director and activities queen.)
- Youth Leader and Mentor to JrHi girls with the Christian organization Youth For Christ.
- Intern with International Family Services.
- Guitar and Mandolin.
- Art. (I love to paint and have actually sold some of my stuff.)
- Photography, Video and Graphic Design.